4-6 ounces lean ground beef
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/8 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon minced onion
1 clove garlic crushed and minced
1 serving Melba toast crumbs or crushed nut thins
1 recipe marinara sauce (recipe below)
- Combine meat, cracker crumbs and spices and mix thoroughly.
- Form into balls.
- Place into baking dish and cover with marinara sauce.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Garnish with fresh basil.
Serves: 2 or more
- 4 large tomatoes or as many as you want if you wish to increase the recipe
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or fresh rolled and chopped basil to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Pinch of marjoram
- Chop tomatoes or puree in a food processor for a smoother texture, add spices and heat in a saucepan.
- Allow to slow cook for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Allow the liquid to reduce or add additional water to achieve desired consistency.